Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pregnancy torture

Pregnant women like to eat. That is a fact. Not an opinion, a fact (well unless that pregnant woman is having morning sickness...then she may want to eat but can't).

With this fact in mind, why oh why is it not considered torture to ask a pregnant woman to fast for 10 hours to then come to the hospital, get blood drawn and fast for 3-4 MORE hours!?!?

I failed my first glucose test...the easy one, the one you don't have to fast for, the one that they only take one vial of blood, the one that only takes an hour.

I don't know by how much I failed the 1 hour test but I did and I had to do what they call the 3 hour test. 3 hours my fat booty!!

10 hours prior to going to take the test, you have to fast for 10 hours. Then you go to the hospital or the lab and wait. Yes, wait. Those places never get you right in! Then they take one vial of blood and sent you to a room to again...wait. After about 30-40 minutes they come in and either you are OK to take the test or your blood sugar is too high already to even start. If they continue, they give you the NASTIEST foul tasting drink. Pure sugar water with what they want to call flavoring...bleh!!

After drinking the drink (with an audience to make sure you actually drink it all and don't throw it up), you again wait. For an hour. Then they draw blood...and you wait another hour. After that hour they draw MORE blood and have you wait yet ANOTHER hour. After that hour, they draw the final vial of blood and release you to do a mad run/waddle to the nearest McDonalds - at this point not even caring if you are diabetic or not!

Luckily, I passed the 3 hour test and I in fact do not have gestational diabetes. I've since learned that many many people fail the 1 hour yet pass the 3 hour. I think it is a ply by the lab techs...they like to see us preggos squirm!

I didn't eat anything after 8:00 one night, and didn't get to eat until nearly noon he next day! That would make me cranky even when I'm not pregnant!!

Now where did I leave that chocolate cake... ?

No comments:

Post a Comment