Saturday, October 17, 2009

Welcome to the world Baby Reagan!!

Reagan was born on Monday, October 12th. She is a healthy, happy BEAUTIFUL baby girl!

She is also independent and is going to do things HER way and on HER timetable!

I had no need to worry about being induced. Reagan and God both decided that it wasn't necessary for me to be induced at all. Sunday night,the night before I was to be induced, my water broke so we ended up at the hospital earlier than planned. However, I wasn't have notable contractions (the only reason I knew I was having them at all was because I was hooked up to a machine that told me I was. I couldn't feel a thing!). This lasted all night.

My doctor came in the next morning and discovered I had a fore bag of water than hadn't broken yet so she went ahead and broke it for me...


I definitely started feeling the contractions after that! I went from 3cm dilated to 9 cm in about an hour, and was beyond ready to meet Mr Epidural Man (who by the way was a very nice, funny man. If he can make me laugh while I'm being stuck by a needle in my back AND having a contraction at the same time...he's OK in my book!)

Reagan was born only 3 hours and 20 minutes after my 2nd bag of water was broken, but I had been in the hospital for over 19 hours at that time. Luckily I was actually asleep during most of the first part ha ha :)

She was a very relaxed and easy going baby. She didn't cry too much and slept well. However, on the day that we were supposed to go home, the doctor decided to keep her because she was borderline Jaundiced. The second time they checked her she had increased so they had to take her from me (yes, I cried), to give her treatments under the lights. I only got to see her 20 minutes at a time so that I could nurse her every 2-3 hours or so.

Finally around 1am they brought her back to me and said she had decreased and I could keep her in the room with me, but that I had to continue to nurse her more often and supplement with some formula as well. By 10am the next morning she was down even more and they decided to let us go home!

Before we left, we opted to have her get a Hepititis B vaccine. Afraid she was really going to cry and wail, I held her while the nurse gave it to her. She did cry and scream as she was being stuck and injected,however once it was all over, she was perfectly fine. She even fell right back asleep.

Whaaaa.....Whaaaaaa....Whaaaaaaaaaa...... Zzzzzzzzzzz :)

She is still pretty easy going and calm most of the time. We are having some issues with nursing though. I think it is partly to do with the Jaundice and having to supplement with the formula as well as having to feed her more often than usual. We are working on it though!

She is sleeping peacefully in her swing so I think I am going to join her in a nap while I can!


  1. Hooray!!! I'm so excited for you that Reagan is here... and can I just say that I love blog posts - way better than facebook. :) It's like a "real" conversation where you can really update people on what's going on! So glad that you and Reagan are home and that she's doing well.

  2. I agree Elizabeth, blog posts are better than Facebook updates...however, Facebook updates are much faster when time is short!